Tuesday, March 24, 2009

People do need the disabled spot

I must be honest and admit that I have always wondered if the disabled parking spots were ever really used by people who could genuinely benefit from them.
There always seems to be so many of them and in prime real estate car park areas.
Obviously you say!

Right in front of the entrance, close to amenities and what is also great pram pushing spots.
I don’t park in them because I would feel terrible if someone who needed it missed out. But I still walk past thinking “As if they need so many”.

Today as I was picking up from school, I noticed that the car park at school was unusually full earlier. Even the disabled spots had cars in them. “Lazy parents who don’t want to wait”, I thought. And didn’t give it another thought as I walked through the gate.

On the way back to my car I saw a mother stopping the flow of traffic with her arms as a father pushed a young child in her wheelchair through the traffic to a car spot at the back of the car park. I felt so sad that for the sake of someone saving time, this poor parent had to endure the car park walk with a wheel chair in 27 degree heat.

Next time you go to jump into a disabled car spot, remember there are people who need it.

No comments: